by Megan Totka
For most of us, this time of the year is busy, even overwhelming. However, the work does not stop. How do you avoid all the distractions and stay focused? How do you get everything done on time? Here’s my advice.
1. Plan ahead. Make sure everything, work and play, is included in your calendar. Give yourself a few days leeway on your deadlines, just in you are extra rundown or something irresistible pops up. Schedule posts and updates in advance when you can.
2. Get into the spirit with holiday themes and heart-warming stories. Reprise popular posts you’re written or enjoyed as a “Best of 2013” series. Like retailers, offer holiday deals.
3. Fight the sunset. If you suffer from seasonal affective disorder (SAD) or feel like hibernating when the daylight hours shorten, try bright lights or vitamin D, the sunshine vitamin.
4. Don’t be afraid to say no. This can mean turning down extra work or declining an invitation to another holiday party. Keep your regular clients happy, but give yourself some time to get everything done and enjoy the holidays.
5. Focus. Put down your phone, turn off the TV and close your social media pages until you’ve accomplished your goal. Then have fun. With the promise of a reward, you may finish in no time.
6. Use the social season as an opportunity to send a card, chat or otherwise renew old acquaintances, especially clients you have not worked with in a while. They made decide to ring in the new year with you. And don’t forget to thank employees, suppliers or anyone else who has been important to you.
7. Honor what the holidays mean to you.
Megan Totka is the Chief Editor for ChamberofCommerce.com. She specializes on the topic of small business tips and resources. ChamberofCommerce.com helps small businesses grow their business on the web and facilitates connectivity between local businesses and more than 7,000 Chambers of Commerce worldwide.