What would make you open an email a few days before Christmas?  I’m sick of the Christmas deals those hyped-up marketers are still cramming into my inbox. I’m winding down from work too.

But like most people I’ve talked to, I crave advice on dealing with one or more touchy family situations.

Marketers, you can fool me into reading those pitches once you’ve calmed me down. As my last-minute Christmas gift back at ya, here are 11 email subject lines that woul entice my friends and I to open your email:

1. Smile politely while spitting that inedible Christmas cake into your napkin: 3 tips
  2. What if everyone brings jello?
  3. An Alzheimer Christmas. What to do when Granny won’t stop yelling
  4. Uncle Sid has passed out in the mashed potatoes again: help or ignore?
  5. How to get the in-laws to go home, without risking war
  6. Silent night, no more: how to start a conversation with cousins you haven’t seen in years and never liked
  7. Whining kids-how to make them sleep, in the spirit of the season but without spirits
  8. Survive carols with the tone deaf: how to sing LOUD
  9. When cats, dogs and other species mix: a furniture survival guide
  10. Do you mention food spilled on the face — or other places?
  11. 11 foolproof excuses to leave early

I’ve survived most of these situations by laughing. That way, they don’t spoil all the wonderful ones.

Thanks for the photo.

How to survive awkward family holiday moments
Tagged on:

9 thoughts on “How to survive awkward family holiday moments

• December 20, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I would read these too! Thanks for posting, Barb. And Merry Christmas! Thanks so much for the book, received today. I am so happy for you and excited to see the book in paperback form. Looks great. And more importantly, Write Like You Talk — Only Better is a must-read for anyone who needs to write for an organization.

• December 20, 2011 at 9:01 pm

• December 20, 2011 at 9:01 pm

• December 23, 2011 at 11:43 am

Interesting content on the other hand I would like to explain to you that I think there is trouble with your RSS feeds when they appear to not be working for me. Might be just me but I was thinking I would suggest it.
    [url=http://acnetreatments250.blinkweb.com/]Home remedies for acne[/url]